Zimbabwe Environmental Law Association (ZELA) through its research arm, the Africa Institute for Environmental Law (AIEL) has a keen interest to research on Chinese Investments in Zimbabwe. The goal for the research being that of producing information which informs and empowers the Government, policy makers, Civil Society Organisations and mining communities in Zimbabwe and the region who are in constant interaction with Chinese investors. This interest arises from a surge in Chinese investments and footprint in Zimbabwe’s mineral and energy sector and broader concern over the disregard of labor and environmental regulations by Chinese owned mining companies in Zimbabwe. Against this backdrop, the AIEL seeks the service of a Systems developer, who will be tasked to develop a web based data visualisation system that will provide policy makers, mining communities, researchers and investors with information on the nature of Chinese mining in Zimbabwe and community concerns.
The objective of the consultancy is to develop web based space tracking Chinese investment in Zimbabwe’s
Scope of Work
The consulting firm will work closely with the AIEL
team to develop the web based space and populate it with information . In
particular the scope of the work will be as follows:
- Gather requirements and develop user stories/user cases: In discussion with AIEL/ZELA, gather details of the requirements and develop user stories; prepare a software requirements specifications (SRS) and get signed off by ILO BSEP.
- Develop and test the web-based application: Based on the requirements gathered, develop a web based visual space application framework that includes user management, access control, security and workflow for publishing information. This application framework should be able to add modules in future and be able to share data with other applications. Test the application framework with the real users from UCEP and gather feedback on the system.
- Finalize the web-based application: Based on the feedback received from the testing by the users, finalize the web based application and prepare technical documentations and user manuals for orienting the users.
- Orient AIEL staff and a few users: Orient the system administrators and end users of AIEL/ ZELA (approx. 30-35 persons) on administering and using the system. Finalize the users’ manual based on feedback received from the end users.
- Hand over the system: Host the system as a hyperlink to the AIEL website
- Provide troubleshooting support: Provide troubleshooting support for at least three months after handing over the system. The support should be in person, over telephone and via email, as and when necessary.
At the end of the assignment, the AIEL will have a fully functional
web-based application and AIEL/ZELA staff will capacitated to maintain the system.
The contractor will deliver the following as part
of this assignment:
- Inception Report with updated project plan of
- Develop aand deliver a Software as per technical
requirements stated in the scope of work and agreed through SRS;
- Conduct orientation training for AIEL/ ZELA staff
- Conduct software maintenance training for ZELA IT
Staff (one working day)
- Deliver a final version of the Webspace with documented
- Produce a user’s manual and training materials for
Qualifications and Professional Requirements
Interested candidates should have at least the
- Degree in IT with focus in Communication, Web Design and Systems
- 3-5 years proven
professional experience in database management, design and maintenan
- Detail oriented, self-motivated
and comfortable working in a small, collaborative team environment.
- Excellence in all MS Office
Applications, particularly Word and PowerPoint.
experience of web design and support in the international development sector
experience in developing in well known and widely used open source platforms,
such as Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, etc.
of End Users needs to match with adequate technical solutions
track record in web site design; security and administration; Google analytics
and Search Engine Optimization.
candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their:
- CV indicating relevant experience and academic background,
- Brief outline of the
Approach and Methodology to providing the services noted
- Financial proposal
- Proposed work
schedule/timeline including number of days required (max. 2 months)
- Three (3) references
All these documents should be sent to email@example.com by 14 May 2021. The following title, “DataVis: Tracking Chinese Investment”” should be clearly stated in the email subject.